Vegan Pie Dough
Making a tasty plant-based pie dough was something I struggled with for a long time. All my early attempts turned out very dense or the oil leaked from the flour and caused a lot of shrinkage and a terrible texture. After stumbling into Fran Costigan’s book, I decided I had to give her method a try. This recipe is the result of trying a couple of times. It is the best plant-based version of a pie dough I have made. Yield: Makes two 20-cm pies or one double crusted pie.
- 320 grams all-purpose flour
- 30 grams powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 90 grams unrefined rapeseed oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4-8 tablespoons ice water
- Sift together the flour, powdered sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder into a clean bowl. Place the bowl in the freezer. Put the rapeseed oil in a small container and place it in the freezer. In a separate small container, mix together the vinegar and 4 tablespoons of water and place this container in the freezer as well. Keep all containers in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- The oil will be slightly congealed after about 30 minutes, which is your cue to begin making the dough. Add the oil to the flour and mix quickly with your hands. The dough should resemble coarse cornmeal. Add the vinegar-ice water mixture to the dough and gently mix with your hands. Add the additional water as necessary to just get the dough to come together into a soft ball. Resist overmixing the dough as this will make it tough when baking.
- Split the dough into two even portions. Place one portion between two pieces of parchment paper and press into a circle. Gently roll out with a rolling pin until about 1-cm thick. Cover with plastic and place in the freezer. Repeat with the other half. Rest the dough in the freezer for 20 minutes if using right away. Otherwise wrap the dough tightly in cling film and place in a airtight freezer bag to store. The dough will stay in the freezer for about 6 months – just make sure to take the dough out of the freezer about one hour prior to using.
Jack’s Fresh Tip
Your success in making this pie dough is totally dependent on working with everything chilled, working quickly and with gentle hands. You can use the same recipe for savory pies by eliminating the sugar and just keeping everything else the same.
This is a Sample Recipe
To see more recipes like this subscribe now